The hiring of an off duty police officer for traffic control and/or security functions is strictly regulated by department policy and borough ordinance. Below are the terms of such service including the hourly rates, administrative fees and escrow requirements. If you would like to hire an officer download and complete the below form and email to email@example.com or fax to 973-377-9118.
Florham Park Borough Ordinance 46-8 Regulates the hiring of a police officer for traffic control and security functions. The rates of pay and other terms are outlined below:
- During normal business hours, this being defined as Monday through Friday from 7:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., excluding holidays, the police officer performing the third-party assignments shall be paid by the Borough at the gross hourly rate of $70 per hour.
- For any emergency third-party assignment, the police officer performing the third-party assignments shall be paid by the Borough at the gross hourly rate of $90 per hour. An emergency third-party assignment is any request for extra-duty work that is received by the police within less than 12 hours of the assignment.
- For any third-party assignments which occur during nighttime hours or on weekends or holidays, the police officer performing the third-party assignments shall be paid by the Borough at the gross hourly rate of $80 per hour.
- Any third-party assignment already in place with the Borough or contractor will not be subject to the revised rate of pay.
- Payment for such assignments shall be subject to the normal deductions for federal and state taxes, pension contributions, etc., to which the police officer’s regular salary is subject.
Administrative and vehicle fees; escrow account:
- The Borough shall, in addition to the hourly rate for the police officer set forth in Subsection B above, charge an administrative fee of $5 per hour.
- An additional fee per vehicle of $50 per day or $10 per hour (whichever is greater) shall be charged when a marked police vehicle is used in the performance of an assignment. The decision whether or not to use a police vehicle will be at the sole discretion of the Borough of Florham Park Police Department.
- At least five business days prior to the performance of any third-party assignment, the third party contracting for such services shall establish with the Borough an escrow account to guarantee payment for said services. The third party shall provide an estimate of the time the police officer(s) will be needed, multiplied by the hourly rate of $60 per hour. Upon approval of said estimate by the Chief, 110% of the estimate shall be deposited into the escrow account. The funds held in the escrow account shall be used for the payment of the police officer in accordance with Subsection D above. Upon completion of the third-party assignment, the balance in the escrow account shall be refunded in full to the third party. The Police Chief, with authorization from the Borough Administrator, may provide exceptions to the requirement to establish an escrow account with the Borough for emergent jobs.
Download: Extra Duty Form